Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Whatever your plans, yummy food will probably on the menu. And there is no need for the vegan folk to miss out on the fun. Gardein makes some tasty vegan Buffalo Wings and Sophie’s Seafood Kitchen does a great fried shrimp (the game is in New Orleans, after all).
If you are more of a dip person, you might sample the Spinach Artichoke dip from Chloe’s Kitchen. Delish! For those craving something with a little kick, here’s my Southwest Tequila Dip Veganized. I have been making this for years because people continue to request it. (Readers who do eat dairy, just substitute the dairy versions of the ingredients.)
Southwest Tequila Dip
- Meat eater husband approved
- Make ahead
For Sour Cream (if you don’t want to make your own, just substitute premade vegan sour cream instead of the following and skip Step One of the Preparation):
1 package extra firm tofu
3 TBS lime juice
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard powder
agave nectar to taste
dash of garlic powder
Additional dip ingredients:
1 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese,
1/2 cup salsa (hot or medium, depending on your taste)
1 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
2 TBS tequila (optional–leave out if kids or non drinkers will be eating)
Squeeze of lime juice
- If making your own sour cream, place tofu, 2 tsp of the lime juice, vinegar, pinch of salt, mustard, a few drops of agave, and the dash of garlic powder into a food processor or blender. Combine until creamy. Continue adding lime juice and/or agave until desired taste is achieved.
- Combine 1 cup of sour cream with cheese, salsa, and chili powder. Stir. Season with salt to taste. (You may elect to add more salsa and cheese depending on your tastes.)
- Add tequila and stir. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and stir once more.
- If time permits, refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. (Dip will be good fresh but even better later.)
- Serves with chips or veggies.
Happy Super Bowl!